Portland Area Laughter Clubs
Portland Laughter Yoga Laughter Clubs
All of Portland Laughter Yoga's laughter clubs are donation based. No $, no problem. Come laugh with us and we will do "No Money Laughter" with you!
- The Hawthorne Laughter Club meets at 4 pm in the Hawthorne Wellness Center studio each Sunday afternoon in SE Portland. Current as of Spring 2013!
- I now have a Meetup group for Portland Laughter Yoga. Please join to stay in the loop on all of activities such as new clubs, classes and special events! Check out the Portland Laughter Yoga Meetup here or select the Meetup logo in the sidebar.
Other Local Laughter Clubs or Classes
These laughter clubs and classes are not sponsored by Portland Laughter Yoga or Andrea Crisp and are being provided as a public service. Dates and times are subject to change without notice. Please contact the leaders via the information below to ensure clubs/events are currently happening.
- Laura Lou at 1 Laugh At A Time, and Manager of the Hawthorne Club, also hosts a Tuesday afternoon (3 pm) seated Laughter Yoga Club called theraLAUGHity at Tabor Space. She often has other events so check out her calendar!
- Ataraxia Wellness Concern is the newest Laughter Yoga biz with multiple offerings and it's on the west side! Check them out on Facebook too to stay current!
- CorePower Yoga in SE sometimes has a one-hour Laughter Yoga Class lead by Molly. Check out their calendar for current details as the offering varies.
- Third Thursdays in Hillsdale with Kelly at Dr. MacKay's - Wilson Park Building 1820 S.W. Vermont St., Suite G. Space is limited. Please RSVP 503-549-5550
- The original Portland Laughter Club, put on by local motivational humorist Gail Hand meets at various times and locations so check out her site for details.
- There are often laughter clubs happening at both Cascade and Sylvania PCC campuses, although the date and times change each quarter. Contact me and I will put you in touch with someone in the know.
- Announcing Vancouver's first Laughter Club!! Yay! It began July 2011 & meets the 2nd Thursday of the month, 6:30 pm at Chuck's Produce. See the Vancouver Laughter Yoga Facebook Page or Chuck's for more details.
The unique concept of Laughter Yoga began in 1995 by Dr. Madan Kataria, a physician in Mumbai, India. Realizing that laughter truly can be "the best medicine," he started working with a small group of people daily in a local park and discovered that anyone can laugh for no reason. He coined this group a "Laughter Club." Laughter Yoga has taken India by storm where most Laughter Clubs meet daily. In the United States, most Laughter Clubs meet weekly or monthly.
Laughter Yoga has since grown into a world-wide movement with more than 6,000 registered clubs in over 60 countries. Almost all are free!! Dr. Kataria encourages his Certified Laughter Yoga Leaders and Teachers to host at least one free event a month as a way to spread joy and give back to our communities.
Laughter Clubs are led by a Laughter Yoga Leader and/or Teacher. Club members take part in activities that combine laughter exercises (simulated laughter) and yogic breathing, which turns into real laughter when practiced in a group. Participation in a laughter club encourages playfulness, laughter, social connection, and a balance of mind, body, and spirit. It is a great way to improve health and make friends!
* Clubs versus Classes - Clubs are typically free or by donation/love offering. Anything designated as a Laughter Yoga Class has a fee associated with it.